As you saw this morning in the news and on social media, the US Senate is gearing up to slash taxes on corporations and raise taxes on working families.
This isn’t partisan, just factual. Whatever your political affiliation, the facts are clear on the harm from the tax plan authored by the Republican majority in the United States Senate.
Here’s an update and what you can do:
As AFSCME members are working to improve our communities, corporate special interests are lobbying to rob our neighborhoods of the resources needed for quality public services.
Later this week, the U.S. Senate will vote on a bill that will raise taxes on 87 million working families and hurt state and local public services in order to pay for massive new tax breaks for big corporations and wealthy special interests – many from out of state who don’t share our values here in Washington state.
In exchange for trillions in new tax cuts for corporations and those special interests, senators even plan to repeal a key element of the Affordable Care Act and cut $25 billion from Medicare per year. Thirteen million people will lose their health insurance if this bill is signed into law.
Under this bill, the average American family will see their taxes go up, while the corporations who already rig the rules to avoid paying their fair share get even more. Your senator will be one of the deciding votes, and they need to hear from you.
According to a November 15 poll by Quinnipiac University, only 25 percent of Americans approve of the tax plan being advanced by leaders in Congress – and yet the Senate still plans to pass the bill. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/15/voters-disapprove-of-republican-tax-reform-plan-quinnipiac-poll-says.html
What you can do:
Your senators will be among those casting the deciding votes, and they need to hear from you.
Join the effort to stop the tax plan that will raise your taxes and take away from resources we need to serve our communities.
• On your own time and device, click to call your senator here: https://www.afscme.org/now/senate-gears-up-to-slash-taxes-on-corporations-raise-taxes-on-working-families
• Or (on your own time and device), call your US senator at 1-844-899-9913. Tell them to oppose the tax plan in the US Senate. It raises taxes on working families to pay for huge giveaways to corporations and special interests.
For more background:
The US Senate tax plan puts at risk the health and economic security of working families and low-income communities. Here are some good links with more facts:
• New York Times: Senators Scramble to Advance Tax Bill That Increasingly Rewards Wealthy https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/us/politics/senate-tax-bills-potential-hurdle-republicans.html
• Washington Post: Senate GOP tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, CBO finds https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/11/26/senate-gop-tax-bill-hurts-the-poor-more-than-originally-thought-cbo-finds/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_cbo-tax-915pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.0d10f62b1255
• Vox: The Senate’s tax bill is a sweeping change to every part of federal health care https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/29/16712430/senate-tax-bill-change-federal-health-care
• WSLC, AFL-CIO President Jeff Johnson: GOP Tax Bills are Theft From Working People http://www.thestand.org/2017/11/gop-tax-bills-are-theft-from-working-people/