On Wednesday, April 19, public employees across Washington are stepping out to STAND UP FOR WASHINGTON to send a powerful message to the state Senate: Fund public services, the safety net and public employee contracts.
Use our STATEWIDE EVENT MAP to RSVP for an event at a worksite in your area. ENTER YOUR ZIPCODE TO FIND AN EVENT
If you don't find an event, email email@example.com to learn how an event can be added.
4.19 Resources: 4.19 Text & Social Media Handout | Poster | Road to Fair Contract | Contract Gains
SHARE WITH US:
- Take photos of yourself and co-workers Tag them #InvestInWA
- Record short 30-sec videos - how are you standing up for public services #PublicServiceMatters
- Post your photo or video to your Facebook and mention us in the text: @WFSEc28 #InvestInWA
- Post your photo to your Twitter and mention us in the text: @WFSEc28 #InvestInWA
- Post your photo to your Instagram and tag us #WFSEc28 #InvestInWA #PublicServiceMatters
We've got a fight on our hands. It's time to StandUp for Washington. #InvestInWA
Which budget plan will prevail? Will it be the Senate Republican plan that rejects our raises, increases health costs, cuts services and employees? Or will it be the House Democrats' plan that funds our contracts, holds the line on health costs, makes revenue changes and boosts many other areas?
We've prepared a quick comparison showing the stark differences:
HOUSE DEMOCRATS version ESSB 5048
Funds our negotiated and ratified General Government, Higher Education and Interpreter contracts.
Funds across-the-board raises of 6% over two years for General Government and Higher Education employees starting 7/1/17. Approves negotiated improvements to annual leave (SHB 1434 and SHB 1521).
Funds targeted raises to address recruitment and retention and other issues for more than 10,000 in dozens of job classes.
Holds the line on our health costs, per our negotiated contracts.
Supports public services. Saves Fircrest School. No massive ward closures at Western State Hospital. Adds positions in Childrens, Corrections, Ecology, elsewhere. Invests in Higher Education. Increases cash assistance grant levels for TANF. More support for preventative maintenance in state Parks. Funding in Commerce to reduce homelessness.
SENATE REPUBLICANS version SB 5048
- Rejects all General Government, Higher Education and Interpreter contracts.
- Rejects all raises and leave improvements. In General Government and Higher Education illegally dictates renegotiations on pay (no more than the equivalent of $500/yr).
- Rejects all targeted raises. Refuses to address recruitment and retention crisis. Rejects minimum wage.
- Cuts funding for our health benefits. Forces reductions in "actuarial value" of health plans: we'd pay more for premiums, co-pays, deductibles.
- Does not support the services we provide. Closes Fircrest School. Closes wards at Western State Hospital. Cuts in Corrections, Ecology, elsewhere. Shreds the safety net by cutting help for the poor, the homeless, single mothers, public safety, housing, essential needs and much more.
It doesn't have to be this way.
MEDIA INQUIRIES: Please contact Tim Welch, WFSE/AFSCME Public Affairs Director at 800-562-6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
In the news:
EVENT LIST (as of 4/14/17 10:30am)
Seattle Point FO